Thursday, March 11, 2010

Thrifty Thursday-Cutting Costs of Prescription Medications

Today I want to talk about being thrifty with prescription medications. At the beginning of the year, we found out that since our medical insurance was changing, we would have to pay for our medications out of pocket. At the time, just ONE of Summer's medications was $550.00 per month (yes, you read that right) and that was for the generic! Well, there is no way we could afford that let alone the medications that Kirstey and I are on so, I did some research, made a few phone calls and came up with the follow helps. I thought that I would share them with you.

1. Call around to different pharmacies to get the lowest price.
2. Ask if the pharmacy has a program to help (most do).
3. Ask you doctor if there is a different medication for the same condition that may be cheaper.
4. Contact the company that makes the medication. A lot of them have programs where you may even get the medication for free!

I am sure that there are other ways to lower medication bills but, this is what worked for us. By utilizing these steps, we cut our medication bill my almost $750 a month! We wouldn't have been able to afford the needed medications otherwise!

For other thrifty ideas, please check out Shelly's blog at The Coupon Teacher.

1 comment:

  1. These are great tips. I am so grateful for my good insurance coverage as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0