Thursday, March 11, 2010

Calgon Take Me Away!

Have you ever had "one of those days"? Well, this week, today was my "those" days! It all started so innocently, I did my usual wake up, get coffee on, meet Destiny, watch some news, grab second cup of coffee & book while waiting for the bus. Then my usual let the dog out, clean the living room & kitchen, watch Steve Wilcos. Then Luke was dropped off,  (it IS 11 am), he slept late so it will be a late nap.  Then, Sophia is dropped off. His Mom stated that she JUST woke up from a LONG nap so she is wide awake, but no Lunch yet. She made a snide comment about how she expects to see her first steps instead of me. It wasn't what she said, but how she said it that kind of got under my skin.

I spend the next few hours trying to feed both with 1 high chair, breaking up fights, trying to save the cats, getting bread in the oven (did I mention that I made bread dough earlier today)? And singing several rounds of B-I-N-G-O and Itsy-Bitsy Spider. I tried to get Luke to take a nap around 3:30pm but he just screamed in the crib for 20 minutes (OK, maybe it was 10). By that time Summer was home as was Destiny and it was time to get the Pork Loin in the oven. (Was that on the menu for today?... I forget).

I got that done, homework started, when Luke's father called to see if it was OK if he came late... 9 to 9:30 pm. I said OK while cleaning up apple juice from the floor. Sophia's father picked her up and I thought, whew... I can relax. Then Luke decided to torture the cats one more time. Kirstey came home and said that she wasn't eating what I cooked (I told her fine-go hungry). The Hubbeast called and said that he was going to be late. I am still smiling ;o)

The rest of the night is a blur. Luke crying, the girls fighting, cats screaming, the Hubbeast just sitting there (once he got home). By the time Luke's father picked him up at 10:30 pm, he had earned a new nickname- Grumpy Puppy! By 9pm he was so tired that he couldn't stand himself! I walked the floor, rocked, sang, tried to play, he just sat in the floor screaming.. throwing EVERYTHING I tried to sooth him with. FINALLY he passed out while I was walking with him and slept for 20 minutes while I held him... afraid to lay him down.

It is now after 11 pm, I have had 3 glasses of wine, have a migraine, haven't eaten dinner (it so east to forget) and everyone else is in the bed dreaming away! Sometimes I wonder WHY do I do this? Why do I work so hard? Why does it matter to me so much? Then I remember the look on my daughters faces when they ate that bread today that I made (they REALLY love it) and how they are with the younger children.. How The Hubbeast had a warm dinner to come home to after working 18 hours (and complimented me on how tasty it was). How he tried (notice I said tried) to help entertain Luke tonight. How Luke curled up into my arms tonight finally drifting off  to sleep. How Destiny looks up to me and values my opinion about anything, how Sophia says my name..OOOORAH... (for Lora) and reaches her little arms up for me to pick her up, hugs me and blows me kisses.

Even on this crazy day.... I do this because I LOVE it!  But darn it... sometimes, in the midst of it all, I am wishing for Calgon to take me away!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swidget 1.0