Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

Today's Thrifty Thursday's post is going to be about what I do to earn extra money while being a SAHM.

     I have not worked outside of my home since I found out I was expecting my oldest daughter almost 19 years ago. But I have made a small income during that time. Mostly I run an in-home daycare and charge a reasonable rate (most people think I give it away). 90% of the children I care for come from single-parent households and if I charged more, the parent couldn't afford daycare. This allows me to earn extra funds, gives the children a loving, nurturing environment and has allowed me to be home to raise my 4 children. Plus, I am at home anyways so I would rather be doing something productive that trying to find something to keep myself busy. Right now I have 4 children that I provide care for (Destiny 10 who I have 5 days a week, Landon 5 who I have occasionally, Luke 15 months who I have 5 days a week, and Sophia 9 months who I have Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays) and starting Monday I will have 10 month old triplet boys on Mondays.

     I have also made a little extra money by knitting or crocheting for profit. I knit socks for an alpaca farm for about a year. I have sold items I have made to friends and family. I also make Birthday and Holiday gifts which in turn saves me cash.

     The funds that I make pays for my girl's lunches, puts gas in my daughter's car, pays our water bill, buys our groceries,  pays for my girl's cell phones and I have even got a small emergency fund- all being a SAHM. The Hubbeast then covers the rest.

     This is what works for us. To get more thrifty ideas, please check out The Coupon Teacher!

2 comments:

  1. You sure have found some great ways to earn extra income! Knitting socks from Alpaca fleece must be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0