Thursday, January 7, 2010

Thrifty Thursday

I've learned to be a little thrifty over the past year. Clipping coupons, cooking at home from scratch, shopping at thrift stores, etc... This year I am going to try to expand my idea of what thrifty is for me & my household.

One idea that I have already started working on is to break everyone from using sponges and paper towels for cleaning & napkin use. Since I both knit & crochet, I have started making cotton cloths and "scrubbies'. These can be thrown in the washer & dryer and reused for years. The nice ones will be used as wash cloths and face cloths and as they get stained they will become cleaning cloths. These will also make great gifts for friends & family throughout the year ;o)  I am also going to keep my eyes open when I go to the thrift store for cloth napkins for daily use.

Not only will I have reduced paper product use, I will have had the fun of making the cloths! I'll try to post photos as I get them finished.

4 comments:

  1. Great idea! And a nice way to go green :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waiting for the photos! I was thinking about knitting some, myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great thing. I try to use very few paper towels, but hubby thinks he should use them as napkins!!!

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't sew so I picked up a bunch of cloth napkins at a yard sale. Have to admit we don't use them as much because honestly, I don't think of them!

    I did buy some white wash cloths at Costco and we've used them in place of paper towels, so that'll save money.

    ReplyDelete

Swidget 1.0